1. The Other Way Covid Will Kill: Hunger – “Worldwide, the number of children younger than 5 caught in a state of so-called wasting — their weight so far below normal that they face an elevated risk of death, along with long-term health and developmental problems — is likely to grow by nearly seven million this year, or 14 percent, according to a recent paper published in The Lancet, a medical journal. The largest numbers of vulnerable communities are concentrated in South Asia and Africa, especially in countries that are already confronting trouble, from military conflict and extreme poverty to climate-related afflictions like drought, flooding and soil erosion.”
2. Billionaires Won Corona – If Jeff Bezos gave every Amazon employee (all ~800,000 of them) a $100,000 bonus, he would still be worth as much as he was before the pandemic.
3. How the Shark Forgot It’s Skeleton – “Whatever the reason, the fact that sharks are still around 400m years later suggests that a soft skeleton is a highly successful strategy, evolutionarily speaking. Yet it may also be a limited one. The swim bladders developed by bony fish to modulate their buoyancy would soon be co-opted for another purpose: transformed into a primitive set of lungs, they allowed their bearers to breathe air, and therefore to colonise the land. Given that inch, early terrestrial vertebrates took a few feet, as it were. The rest is history.”
4. How to Let Go of Working Mom Guilt – “We expect women to work like they don’t have children, and raise children as if they don’t work.”
5. Previewing Census Bureau Data on Poverty, Income, and Health Insurance – Today’s release of poverty data from 2019 will bear little resemblance to conditions today.