1. Dentists Are Seeing an Epidemic of Cracked Teeth – What’s Going On? – “Are your teeth currently touching? Even as you read this article? If so, that’s a sure sign that you’re doing some damage — your teeth shouldn’t actually touch throughout the day at all unless you’re actively eating and chewing your food.”
2. Why Do Poor People Stay Poor? – “Many poor people stay poor not because of their talent/motivation, but because they are in low-paying jobs that they must work to survive. They are, in essence, in a poverty trap. This is a poverty trap where their lack of money prevents them from ever getting training/capital to work in higher paying jobs.”
3. Amazon Profits, AWS, and Advertising – “People argue about Amazon a lot, and one of the most common and long-running arguments is about profits. The sales keep going up, and it takes a larger and larger share of US retail every year (7-8% in 2019), but it never seems to make any money. What’s going on?”
4. How Angela Merkel’s Giant Migrant Gamble Paid Off – “Mohammad Hallak found the key to unlock the mysteries of his new homeland when he realised you could switch the subtitles on your Netflix account to German. The 21-year-old Syrian from Aleppo jotted down words he didn’t know, increased his vocabulary and quickly became fluent. Last year, he passed his end of high school exams with a grade of 1.5, the top mark in his year group.”
5. Quiz: Do You Want to Go to Grad School or Do You Just Need a Snack? – Mostly A’s? Go to grad school. Mostly B’s? Grab a snack.